Deth's New Speaker

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
Deth V
The Weird One

Deth's New Speaker

Post by Deth V »

I got a subwoofer for my computer speakers!
"You know what the first rule of flying is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her a home."
IwinUloseLOL

Re: Deth's Home Theater Build Thread

Post by IwinUloseLOL »

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :D
The snake who'd held the world
a stick, a carrot and a string
was crushed beneath the foot
of your not wanting anything!!!!
Deth V
The Weird One

Post by Deth V »

Here it is, the Velodyne VX-11

"You know what the first rule of flying is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her a home."
IwinUloseLOL

Post by IwinUloseLOL »

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW
That thing is awesome! :)
The snake who'd held the world
a stick, a carrot and a string
was crushed beneath the foot
of your not wanting anything!!!!
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

ME WANTZ!!
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Re: Deth's New Speaker

Post by hawkiee552 »

Old thread, I know, but...
That's cute, Deth.

12" subwoofer - 400W RMS

*totally not bragging*
It's full of cat hair that won't come off no matter what I've tried (yet) though.

Back to the serious discussion, your subwoofer looks pretty nice, would actually bought one of those if it weren't for this huge beast of a subwoofer. Stopped playing loud with it though, I don't want to damage my hearing, mostly play music on low volume and movies with it.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
Deth V
The Weird One

Post by Deth V »

Generally your hearing won't be damaged by low frequencies, unless it's insanely loud (Like 123+ DB)

I've helped set up Quad 18 inch subs for live sound events, love the sound of those.

Also at church where I do sound, we run dual 18s on each side at around 1,600 watts or so each side (Don't have the exact numbers anymore...) They're pretty good.

What do you have your sub crossed at? I keep mine around 82hz, nice and clean bass from that.
sniper101

Post by sniper101 »

1,600 watts that's insane amount of power for your speakers!
I love bicycling.
Deth V
The Weird One

Post by Deth V »

It's live sound, so things have to be crazy powerful...

It amazes me... for a small change in loudness, you have to double the power.
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

There's no crossing option on my subwoofer amplifier, the subwoofer itself is passive, but its set to play everything from 20Hz to 250Hz, the upper frequencies are handled by my ADC floor speakers (2x6,5" and 1x1" 120W RMS) and my Kenwood KRF-V5200D home cinema amplifier. I do have center and rear speakers, but I don't have any placement for them, nor do I see the use in them, so they just collect dust in the basement.

Yeah, you really need a lot of power because of the huge coil size on those speaker cones. The more power, the more punch you get. Currently, I'm not using much power on my subwoofer, I'm using a small amplifier because of space issues, but it's more than enough for music and movies. I do, however have a car amplifier at 500W RMS that I'd have to use a car battery and charger on, but that stuff is stored in the basement for now as it's too messy.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.