Some interesting AMD C-50 testing

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Some interesting AMD C-50 testing

Post by hawkiee552 »

My laptop has an AMD C-50 APU with a Radeon HD 6250 in it. As this is a cheap netbook and small notebook processor and GPU, it might not impress people with its performance. I was kinda sceptical about this APU, as it only had 1GHz dualcore, and a GPU with 80 pipelines @280MHz. Nothing fancy here on the paper, but after some realistic testing (no benchmarks, but rather gameplay performance), I've noticed that this APU has some dark sorcery in it. Or atleast, it's very compatible with games.

The first game I noticed this oddly awesome performance is Race: The WTCC Game (2006), as I ran it on max graphical settings with over 60FPS. My E-450 laptop (1,6GHz dualcore and Radeon HD 6320 with 80 pipelines @500-600MHz) which is the top in the Fusion APU series that AMD made, runs this game only on medium with slight lag, about 25/30FPS. The same with Need For Speed Underground. Also, Need For Speed Most Wanted ran with max settings at a little lower framerate (50-60FPS), but still very playable. The E-450 also struggled with this game.

Those were old games, though, but the graphics are as today, still quite good. Now, let's move up to newer and heavier games, like Need For Speed Most Wanted 2013. It ran with 15-25 FPS on lowest settings, and it still looked stunning with the huge city and landscape. Far Cry 2 runs at 30FPS on lowest setting. GTA IV with 10-15FPS. Just Cause 2 with 10-20FPS. Source games, however, are not performing that well. Remember, this is a netbook APU which you can find in 10.1" netbooks, which is quite incredible performance-wise.

Does anyone have a clue and can explain why? Both laptops had the same amount of RAM, newly formatted, set to full performance and the only difference was the motherboard and APU. Seeing that this APU has such good performance makes me want to buy a 10.1" netbook with it to play awesome PC games on the go.

I love my new laptop even more, totally worth the $90 i spent on it ;P
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Re: Some interesting AMD C-50 testing

Post by hawkiee552 »

Just going to add in the Windows Experience Index from this laptop:

Processor - 2,8

Memory - 4,9

Graphics - 4,2

Gaming graphics - 5,5

Primary hard drive - 5,9

The processor has the lowest score of course, but the gaming graphics score is actually pretty high.
These are just numbers that won't give real results, just a wide measurement, but they give you a small clue on how the components are performing.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.