Your rig

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
DelusionalSyko

Re: Your rig

Post by DelusionalSyko »

Acer is a generic/gaming hybrid laptop company. So you most likely have a seperate graphics card instead of a crappy integraded.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

Ummm... Yeah.

CPU: Intel Core i5
Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics Family :(
RAM: 4 GB
Monitor: 1366x768 Screen
Mouse/keyboard: Dynex Wireless Mouse (Soon to be Razer Deathadder)
Headset: Integrated Mic + Audio Technica M50WH Headphones

Get on my level.
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

Not bad of a laptop, soul.

The only severe downfall is that wireless mouse you have. Wireless technology kills accuracy in first person shooters. And your suggested replacement is an amazing mouse. Had myself one for a few years before the middle mouse button broke. Ended up replacing it with a CM Storm Spawn. But I seriously miss the Deathadder.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
GeForce GTX 570
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

And to add to this, I have a laptop I used to play on, which is still pretty good (compared to what the price for it was :D):

HP Pavillion G6-1216SO
CPU: AMD A4-3300M - 1.9 GHz (Dual-core, actually an APU with dual graphics)
RAM: 6 GB (My friend actually added a 2GB chip so I got 6 instead of 4)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6510G2 (1GB dedicated RAM, actually is the Radeon HD 6480G and the Radeon HD 6470M combined in crossfire!)

A pretty beast laptop to cost like $540. (In Norway, items cost a lot more than the price we should pay)
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

I have a laptop, and that's it for now, but I'm probably going to build a new PC before february.

ASUS U32U (Normally it cost around $890(expensive, ik), but was discounted to about $350 which is cheap here in Norway)
CPU: AMD Fusion E-450 @1,66GHz dualcore
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1066MHz (1x4GB)
HDD: 320GB 5400RPM 2,5"
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6320 (80 pipelines @500-600Mhz)
Display: 13,3" basic LED display (1366x768@60Hz)
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)

This is how it looks like, almost an ultrabook:

The laptop sure is expensive for you guys in the US, and it only runs Source games (i.e Gmod) with 5-30FPS, but in Norway, we can't even find a computer that cheap with such a 'good' graphics card. Intel is cheaper, but no, just no.

Yesterday my cat tipped a bottle of soda with the cap open onto my laptop while I was playing TTT. I disassemblied my laptop and cleaned the motherboard (as the keyboard was so stupidly designed to flow the liquid onto the motherboard instead of away from it) and it's still working today. The keyboard is a bit noisy and sticky though, but that will dissapear with time, I hope.

Can't wait until I get to build my first gaming PC, I've been stuck with old, terrible PC's that I got from others all my life even though I'm really interested in them. I just didn't have the money for it.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

The biggest down fall of that laptop is the processor. That has to be the dumbest combination of graphics and CPU I've ever seen in a system. Your FPS loss is all to blame on the processor on that laptop. Also, a 5200RPM HDD? :(

Also, for all our laptop users:

Laptops are designed to be compact, and mobile. I've always been a huge anti-laptop-gamer for very good reasons:

1) Laptops are small. So, heat dispersion is incredibly difficult in such a small envorinment
2) Hardware throttling is a definite in the laptop environment. The specs of your CPU and GPU on a piece of paper are not what you actually get on the laptop. They're designed to stay cool and not overheat. So CPU speeds are reduced. And if your power supply is not plugged in, the CPU will reduce even further to save power.

If you use a laptop like a desktop, and just let it sit on a desk I would recommend removing your battery and keeping it plugged in. If you bump the cord, or let it disconnect, the laptop will power off. But, removing the battery and keeping it plugged in will increase the life of the battery.
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
GeForce GTX 570
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

DelusionalSyko wrote:The biggest down fall of that laptop is the processor. That has to be the dumbest combination of graphics and CPU I've ever seen in a system. Your FPS loss is all to blame on the processor on that laptop. Also, a 5200RPM HDD? :(
The processor actually is better than the GPU, it's an APU (Accellerated Processing Unit) so the CPU and GPU is in one chip. The GPU might sound powerful, but it isn't. Also 5400RPM HDD is the most used speed 2,5" HDD's in laptops. This laptop isn't worth a SSD, but I'll get one 128GB SSD combined with hard drives when I'm going to build my new rig.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

Im commenting on the fact that it's an AMD dual-core. Which is blegh.
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
GeForce GTX 570
Dergle

Post by Dergle »

I built this beauty back in April, and pretty much I've just done peripheral upgrades since.
I've been interested in tech and computers for a good amount of time, but since April I've found my true passion, building and modifying them!
Now lets start with the internals.
CPU: Intel I5-3570k (OC @ 4.2GHz)
MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz
GPU: XFX Double D 7850
Storage: 120GB SanDisk Extreme SSD
Storage: 500GB Seagate 7200rpm
Case: HAF 912
That pretty much does it for the important internals. This was built during the big flooding in Taiwan, meaning that HDDs were costing more per
Gigabyte, than rocket fuel per gallon. Which is why I had to settle for a 500GB, I will almost certainly up this in the near future. One other thing,
I picked up the HAF 912 because I was on a sort of budget I wanted to keep, so I chose a cheaper case, giving me the opportunity to pour more money into the internals. My plan now is to make this case a bit prettier. My project soon, is to order a side panel with a viewing area, and remove all of my components, so that I may paint the interior black, making it all the more eye candy through the window.
The final addition would be my peripherals.
Keyboard: Corsair K90 (This thing is pure love to type on)
Mouse: Razer Naga Molten
Monitor: Asus 23" 1080p
Headset: Rosewill RHTS-8206 (I was actually very pleased with this headset for the price)
My next future plans will be to eventually get 2 more of these monitors, as well as one or two more 7850s to support them.
I don't plan to ever stop upgrading this, but that is the next step I plan to take.
Attachments
What it looks like at the moment.
What it looks like at the moment.
Fiona.jpg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
Taken when I was building it.
Taken when I was building it.
Fiona build.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
I'm that Dergle guy.

Main Power
Processor: I5-3570k OC @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: 8GB G.Skill 1600Mhz
Storage: 1x 120Gb Sandisk Extreme SSD, 1x 500Gb Samsung HDD
GPU: XFX Double D 7850
Deth V
The Weird One

Post by Deth V »

WOW I love that rig! Mine is kinda wimpy right now... I have an overpowered GPU combined with an underpowered CPU... :(
"You know what the first rule of flying is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her a home."