New pokemon starters! D:

This is the section to Vent about something that is stressing you, or to rant about something that is annoying or etc.

Please no cursing under this section.
TheOnlyShare

New pokemon starters! D:

Post by TheOnlyShare »

Alright, many of you know that Pokemon X and Y is coming out soon. Well I've done some research and apparently, the entire system could be balanced? or broken at the same time. This just really annoys me. Usually we have our standard Grass Water and fire. It just changes later on, and it bothers me SOO much.

Going by this, its Rock Paper Scissors - Grass > Water > Fire > Grass

But now...

The starters are still Grass/Water/Fire but when they evolve they become...

Grass/Dark Fire/Psychic Water/Fighting. This just annoys me because if you look at this bad chart i'm making below me, it'll show you why.

Grass > Water, but Fighting > Dark (Basically, a Water Pokemon can own a grass Pokemon in seconds)

Water > Fire, but Psychic > Fighting (Again basically a Fire Pokemon, FIRE POKEMON, can destroy a water Pokemon in SECONDS)

Fire > Grass, but Dark > Psychic (This is stupid! Grass beating fire? No, NOOOOOOOOOOOO)

Again, this really bugs me, I don't think its really balanced, now it really all just depends who's the FASTEST out of all of them, if your a slow Pokemon, you're DONE

Lemme know what you think about this, does this annoy you? Do you like the new system? Do you think its fair? Should we not evolve our starters due to this fact?
TheRedDuncan
FADW Admin

Re: New pokemon starters! D:

Post by TheRedDuncan »

*cough*IV's*cough*stats*cough*level difference*cough*hax*cough*
Whoa, man, better grab some water, my throat doesn't feel to good.

Anyway, you do pose a good point in some parts, while everyone does love a game of ELEMENTAL ROCKU PAPERS SCIZORS, I do like most of the new types, it may be Nintendo's sublet hint that we should use more then one Pokemon. Now as the super-hardcore Pokemon fan I am by not reading any Pokemon related news, and having not played any video game past 3rd gen, and only have cards that go up to 4th, I can say that changes are HAAAAAARD to get past. I liked a lot of the new types they added (from the 2nd), steel being my all time fav type. 3rd Gen was super fun for me (being the only one I got to the end to). 4th gen had cool Pokemon, and I stopped paying attention until about... Now. The main problem with having this set in my eyes is yes, they do clash after evolving. But with Pokemon, when you get past the above differences mentioned above (besides hax), it does matter a lot about speed, type and move sets. Competitive Pokemon will tell all.
Also, on your point of slow Pokemon, TANK! I mean, tanking is a valid, and sometimes effective, play style in Pokemon, take our wonderful friend, the snorlax, he is slow, but he can tank like boss. I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember.

Anyway, this is your super-hardcore Red Duncan, master of Pokemon from the GB era. Signing out... FOR NOW.

EDIT: For those who care why I go off topic a bit. I haven't paid any attention to new Pokemon stuff. I can't really argue as much as I can complain and agree.
"Look at the sky, is there a heaven out there? What do you see? Is it a road to nowhere? I see a mountain, high, that reaches to the sky forever."

It begins with a ring-leader; in this case Bob "Flaming Carrot" Burden. "We'll make history, lads" he enthues "The first up-tempo, now, 1980's, happening kind of comic book artists to ever draw on a girl's legs in a strange hotel room".
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

I haven't even finished Sapphire yet(at victory road), so I'm good for now. Heh. Also, I have Pokémon Pearl for DS which I've just started. I prefer the old GBA games, those are the one that I started playing for the first time and enjoy the most.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
Kyuenmaru

Post by Kyuenmaru »

I like the change. It satifies my OCD. (Duncan basically said everything for me.. And I don't feel like writing a novel about pokémon right now.. Maybe later.)
kju:enmɑru: in phonetics. Not Kai-you-enn.
Kyuenmaru

Post by Kyuenmaru »

I must say though.. I really look forward to X & Y. The world/level/model design aspects have improved a LOT from 4th/5th gen. And by that, I don't just mean the 3d modeling. I'm talking about what's put where and why.
TheOnlyShare

Post by TheOnlyShare »

Kyuenmaru wrote:I must say though.. I really look forward to X & Y. The world/level/model design aspects have improved a LOT from 4th/5th gen. And by that, I don't just mean the 3d modeling. I'm talking about what's put where and why.
I agree, this will be something COMPLETELY different, which I like. Can't wait until it comes out, the starters being balanced does make it more a challenge giving a use to being smart and picking the right move set. (Finally, the water pokemon doesn't have to just do Hydro pump and just win)
Kyuenmaru

Post by Kyuenmaru »

Not just water pokemon... You could always take ANY starter, overlevel it, and then turn it into a sweeper. Catch a pre-league legendary to cover the few types which resist your powerhouse, and have the rest of your party as untrained tanks which can take two hits from the elite four.. They're martyrs for reviving your lost powerhouses.
TheOnlyShare

Post by TheOnlyShare »

Kyuenmaru wrote:Not just water pokemon... You could always take ANY starter, overlevel it, and then turn it into a sweeper. Catch a pre-league legendary to cover the few types which resist your powerhouse, and have the rest of your party as untrained tanks which can take two hits from the elite four.. They're martyrs for reviving your lost powerhouses.
Very true, still, don't like the idea of people using weaker pokemon as tanks. Just annoys me that they're too lazy to train any of them. The way I see it, is that all your pokemon should be the SAME level, except your starter. Your starter should at least be 5 levels ahead of all your other pokemon, to give it a fair balance (That was your FIRST pokemon, come on really?) Besides that, Fairy type seems to be really cool, it might give spirittomb a weakness for once, :P
Kyuenmaru

Post by Kyuenmaru »

I just train everyone slightly equally.. Maybe someone more than others because of more common EV gains.
TheRedDuncan
FADW Admin

Post by TheRedDuncan »

Kyuenmaru wrote:I just train everyone slightly equally.. Maybe someone more than others because of more common EV gains.
Don't be me and train ALL your Pokemon. I did that with Ruby. It took forever. I gave up half way when all my Pokemon (besides my main team) reached level 25-40. (I wanted to win with all my Pokemon, and make cool team sets.) Also, if you're like me, I have to catch the main Pokemon (the one on the cover) in Shiney form. Over 7000 resets, but I caught a GOLDEN GROUDON! WOOOOOO! *Ahem* Anyway...
"Look at the sky, is there a heaven out there? What do you see? Is it a road to nowhere? I see a mountain, high, that reaches to the sky forever."

It begins with a ring-leader; in this case Bob "Flaming Carrot" Burden. "We'll make history, lads" he enthues "The first up-tempo, now, 1980's, happening kind of comic book artists to ever draw on a girl's legs in a strange hotel room".