Whats your plan?

If you want to talk about random things, this is the place, enjoy!
deathham

Whats your plan?

Post by deathham »

Considering that there is a large amount of us who are on our way up there, what do you plan to do when youre older? It can be general like, "I want to be happy" or it can be a very detailed explanation like what your dream career is and what you want to do with that. It doesnt matter how you say it, i just the basic gist of it.

And to those who already accomplished their goals, maybe you can say how you did so.

Last edited by deathham on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Re: Whats your plan?

Post by hawkiee552 »

I've been thinking of becoming an electrical engineer or working as an electrician, starting with the study next year, then two years with study and two years with practice.

If I want to become an electrical engineer, I'd have to study a couple of years after that on the university here (I think?) and I have a small plan to start my own company, either hire employees or just work on my own as most people do. The numbers of electricians are dropping, so it would (hopefully) be no problem getting a job around here. I already know someone who can give me a job in the future.

Except for that, I don't really have any other plans that I can think of right now.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

I've been interested in technology since I was around 12. I've always had that "I don't understand this, well, might as well learn it" attitude.

Shortly after I graduated high school I got a part time job as a full station gas station attendant. I also attended a 1 month course for "Computer repair" at Bates Technical College. The course promised real hands-on experience with trained teachers, as well as "realistic working environment" I payed the 2 - 3k tuition few, and was dissapointed in the fact that the entire course was online. You would read 3 - 4 chapters, then take a test. With literally no hands on whatsoever. The only hands on we had was me bringing in my custom built computer, taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together. The teacher was insanely rude to me, and would sit in his office the entire time we had class. Was a complete waste of time and money.

I finished the course and started working even harder at my current job. I worked there for about 9 months after my college course was up, and one of my good friends mentioned her grandpa owned a computer repair shop. So, I asked if it was possible for me to start up some sort of non-payed internship with them. They agreed to it. So I started following around the technician, getting REAL on the job training. They soon offered me a part-time job where I would handle the day-to-day activities and the "Computer repair" portion of the business. While at the same time learning how to work with servers and networking. I'm currently still employed there, and I can tell you that I've learned more in the past year about computers and servers than I ever have in my entire life.

What I'm really interested in is to become a teacher. I like what I do now, but I've always wanted a career in where I either teach someone, or help people.

The biggest advice I can give to anyone looking to become something is that failure is a part of succeeding. You've probably heard this a million times, but it's insanely true. If you screw something up, or fail at something, you know not to do it any more. You know how to fix it, or to avoid it. So don't be afraid to fail at something.

Also, if anyone is interested in learning a bit more about computers, I'm always available. People look to me for advice for their computer purchases, or hardware upgrades. I'm fine with that...but take the initiative and the step forward. Learn these things. There isn't a limit to how much you can learn.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
hotdogs
FADW Admin

Post by hotdogs »

It seems like my plans change every year, and I tend to blow whichever the wind blows me. Last year, I was on my way to New York City to be a professional graphic designer for an entertainment company, the year before that I was looking into college for computer programming. And before that, I was a waitress, content in my job and loving every minute of life.

The world has a funny way of throwing you curve balls. I can be the prime example of that. So much has happened to me in the passed few years, it is hard for me to even make plans. But one thing I do have, are my dreams. My goals that I set for myself to achieve no matter where life takes me.

Here are some of my goals I'd like to share with you:

1. Live in New York City.
2. Go to college. ( Hopefully NYU )
3. Meet the man of my dreams [ checked ;p ]
4. Learn how to snowboard/surf.
5. Ride the top 10 roller coasters in the world.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

I want to become more crispy.
Eat me. I dare you.

micswix

Post by micswix »

Well, for a few years now I've wanted to be a psychologist.. I went to one a few years back and she really helped me, and I want to give that same feel to other people. I've always been good with helping people wiith emotional problems, back in Michigan some of my two best friends are ummm in a two female relationship? I don't know if I can say the other word, but they both had some big problems they let me help with.
One had:
Clinical depression
Multi-personality disorder
Narcolepsy
and the other had:
Schizophrenia
Multi-personality disorder
epilepsy
And they always called me to help out with them when something was wrong, or needed help. And just I can seem to get everything easily when it comes to psychology, even when I've never heard about it before. I just think that it's what I was born for. My plans to get it is to continue my pretty good grades, do 3 years of psychology, and two of sociology, and then go to a relatively good college for a little and get something to pay my way through to get my bachelors in Psychology at least. Then just go on from there.
ManlyMan

Post by ManlyMan »

When I get older I would love to be a storm chaser. It would be very cool to go to places like Kansas during tornado season.
blitz723

Post by blitz723 »

For me, I am planning to go to the Army for a tour, come back and go to Oregon State, major in Mechanical Engineering, that's where I'm at lol... Haven't decided whether I would go back to Army, or try to find a nice job and settle down.
I want to serve 20 years, retire, and live off my pension...
MY NAME IS BLITZ AND YOU MUST OBEY ME
LoL just jokin'
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

blitz723 wrote:and live off my pension...
If there's even a pension left.

But that's a whole different discussion :)
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0