Game reviews!

Have any other hobbies that don't fit any other forums and you want to talk about it? Post here!

Once there is enough of one hobby, There will be a seperate section made just for that.

This is also for the topics that have no place in the general community section.
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Re: Game reviews!

Post by hawkiee552 »

I wonder when I'll start on my Half-Life review, it could take some time. Should I post it here, or on the article section? Maybe I should've posted the Far Cry 3 review here, but it was quite large (or medium~) so might be the best that it stays in the articles section.

Any opinions?
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

Post it in your own thread, then link it on this one :P
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Deth V
The Weird One

Post by Deth V »

I might want to make a seperate game reviews section of the forums for you guys
OR see if I can make a page seperate from the forums for this.
"You know what the first rule of flying is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her a home."
9-volt

Post by 9-volt »

Game: Animal Crossing New Leaf

Genre: I'm not really sure what kind of genre Animal Crossing would be. It's kind of a simulation game.

Gameplay: It's a real chill game. Slow paced, it's kinda like you start playing and you're like "what am I gonna do today?"

Level/World Design: Each town is randomly generated, but there's a part of the town called "Main Street," which is always the same.

Sound: The soundtrack matches the feel of the game really well.

Final Desicion: 10/10
Hue Hue Hue.
"If you can't turn it off, it's not a feature."
Port_A_Build

Post by Port_A_Build »

Game title:
FTL: Faster than Light

General information:
Release date: September 14th, 2012
Platforms: Windows
Mac OS X
Linux
Developer: Subset Games
Genre: Top-down strategy roguelike

Gameplay:
You start out as a Federation ship of one of several classes. When you first get in the game, the humble Kestrel cruiser is the only class available. The Federation is about to be defeated by rebels, and you have information that could stop them. Jumping from beacon to beacon, you must avoid being found by the rebel fleet, and get to the exit beacon and therefore the next sector before the rebels do. However, to upgrade your ship, you must collect scrap (the currency of FTL) from fallen enemies or from random events. Every time you jump, you could get nothing or a random event, mostly the last thing. There are thousands of random events. They could give you free stuff, put you into battle, or put you into a difficult situation with no clear solution. Combat is balanced and not difficult to do. Sometimes you have blue options unlocked by equipment, which almost always result in good things.
You must take the lives of you and your crew very seriously, however. If you die, game over. Go back to the beginning and start over. That makes the game awesome.

Level Design:
Your map is simple, and levels are randomized. They are very balanced levels. The sectors are divided into types: Nebula, Hostile, and Friendly. Nebula sectors have lots of nebula, special areas that disable your ability to oversee your entire ship, and with upgrades the enemy interior. Hostile sectors have more enemies in them. Friendly sectors tend to be easier on your ship.

Graphics:
The graphics are great for the game's style.

Sound
The music is amazing, and so are the sounds.

Final decision:
10/10.

Oh, don't expect to beat the game on most of your playthroughs. Currently, I'm at Rebels: 25, Federation: 0. But it is very fun, even when you're saying, "WHY?!?!" or "gg, FTL. GG."
"Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love." - Will L. Thompson, Have I Done any Good?
I'm Port_A_Build, the Portaller.

Come join the Kingdom at 24.21.3.62:27015. Complete with one of the most complicated gamemodes ever and a family friendly rule.
unicow2945

Post by unicow2945 »

I'd be interested in reading a Payday 2 review, since i'm thinking about buying the game (on ps3 since my computer can't run it).
A-Walrurus by any other name...
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

PAYDAY 2
(Don't rate this 1-10)

General information
August 13, 2013; PC,PS3,XBOX360; Overkill Software,505 Games/ Starbreeze Studios, Action, RPG

Gameplay
The game plays really well, and it's really fun. That is all. all of the heists have infinite replayablity. There are 100 characters levels in the game. Every time you level up, you gain a skill point that you can use for any on the 4 skill point categories. The basic principal of each heist is as follows: Go in, do the objective, get out. Most of the time, there is multiple days in a heist, essentially being more "mini-missions" that make the heist mroe complete.

Level/World design
So there are 13? heists(missions) in the game. Each has a unique objective. There is also a lot of small things they put in the maps, and all are visually pleasing.

Graphics
Definite improvement from the last game. It looks pretty nice, but I think with a little touching up it could look a lot better. The game has some, but not many video options, such as DoF, FOV, basic graphic options(low, med high). The sounds are pretty pleasing and nice.
Sound

Final decision
Buy the game. You WILL enjoy it. But you really have to play the first one to understand the characters and the concept. If you go in blind, you will not have a good time.

i hate writing, so it's short.
TheRedDuncan
FADW Admin

Post by TheRedDuncan »

General Info
Game Title: Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Rating: T
Platform: Nintendo DS.
Developer/Publisher: Cing/Nintendo (Released for the Touch!Generations line of games)
Genre: Mystery/Point 'n click

DA GAME

The story: You play as Kyle Hyde, an ex NYPD Detective, currently working as a door to door salesman in the year 1979. You've gotten a side job of finding things for people. You come to Hotel Dusk on one of these jobs. The place is a run down, middle of nowhere shanty the owner calls a hotel. The perfect place to find secrets. You arrive, and make your way to the front desk, where you check into room 215, a room that is said to grant wishes... You begin to remind yourself why you are here, searching for your lost partner from your cop days, when a package arrives, and who else would the bellboy of the place be then an ex pickpocket you arrested several times from New York city? You're beginning to think this isn't quite coincidence when you begin to find connections all over the hotel... (insert cliffhanger)

The writing: Now you may be thinking: "But the story IS the writing!" Not the case. You can have an awesome story, but lame writing.
*Ahem*
The game features a lot of talking, and Kyle... Well... He's not a model speaker http://ambisagrus.tumblr.com/post/56531 ... arming-aka
It's friggen hilarious. The dialogue never ceases to amuse, and there are plenty of things to say throughout the game to everyone you meet. Not only is it funny, but pretty clever and sometimes pretty serious. There are also a million things to point and click on, each with Kyle's own description.

Graphics: The DS is held sideways. During the exploring part of the game, on the left side of the screen, you get a first person look, featuring PS style Third Dimension Graphics. And the right features a top down look of the map http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... 5_ss02.png. When you talk to someone, you go to a "face shot" where you get a close up of the chracters, you one the left, and the person you talk to on the right
http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/cda ... usk019.jpg .

The soundtrack: The game features a wide arrangement, let's take a quick listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4b8M6O6GUs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63jdWm0J2Bc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZXSke87jo

The puzzles: What would a P&C be without puzzles? And this game is no exception, you use the stylus to solve all the physical puzzles (Such as ringing a bell, or flipping a switch). And naturally, as the ace ex detective you are, there are boss fights. Everyone has a secret, and you need to pry them from the owners lips by interrogating them. This part is a dialogue tree, you need to talk to the person of interest, and get them to give you as much info as possible, and then solve their secret.
THE GOOD
The game has funny dialogue, awesome characters, and a good story.
THE BAD
Game overs: Everywhere, this game is not easy, and you will get plenty if you're like me.
Puzzles: They also, are not easy, and failing some will get you game overs. And I don't mean: "It's haaard" I mean: "You need to remove this label without ripping it. Good luck!" or "You're in an air tight room that's locked from the outside, and you only have about 10 clicks before you die. Good luck! (IT'S NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS)
Being stuck: During the game, you will get stuck, and not: "This puzzle is hard. Hmmm." but "WHAT DO I DO?". You will not know what to do, you will not know where to go, and you will wander for about 10 minutes before you find what you are looking for (Or give up and go to gamefaqs).
IS THE ENDING WORTH IT?
Yes.

FINAL WORDS
This game is a lot of fun, and really time consuming (I spent about 20+ hours on my run, and that's cause I'm fast) it's defiantly worth playing if you like point and clicks or mysteries.
And for those who haven't figured it out yet, my pic is of Kyle Hyde.
"Look at the sky, is there a heaven out there? What do you see? Is it a road to nowhere? I see a mountain, high, that reaches to the sky forever."

It begins with a ring-leader; in this case Bob "Flaming Carrot" Burden. "We'll make history, lads" he enthues "The first up-tempo, now, 1980's, happening kind of comic book artists to ever draw on a girl's legs in a strange hotel room".
TheRedDuncan
FADW Admin

Post by TheRedDuncan »

Game Title: Pokemon x and y

JUST KIDDING.

REAL GAME TITLE: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Rating: T (for Mild Language and Mild Violence)

Genre: Thinking Man's adventure game (A.K.A. "Puzzle Adventure")

Platform: DS/iOS (I played the DS version, so this review is going entirely off of that version.)

Developer/Publisher: CAPCOM

WORD OF WARNING: If you look up this game, beware of spoilers!

Graphics: The style is very different from other DS games. It has a very nice 3D look in the world, and nice 2D sprites for talking and the "Ghost World".

Story: You wake up in a junkyard, a girl is being held at Image by a mysterious blue man with a golden shotgun.
Now you're not the kind of guy to leave a lady in a predicament like this. There's just one problem...

You're already dead.

You then hear from a mysterious voice that you can travel to a mysterious "Ghost World" where time freezes, and that you can go through "Cores" of various inanimate objects, and uses "Tricks" to manipulate them. Unfortunately, she dies anyway. You then meet a mysterious desk lamp called: "Ray", who tells you that you can travel back in time four minutes to save a person from dying. You do so. You then realize that you have no clue who you are, and what you're doing here. You then are told you have 12 hours to solve the mystery going on in the town, or else you'll vanish forever.

Controls: (Remember, this is the DS version, so I'm doing DS controls!)

You control your spirit with the stylus. You have two powers, "Ghost" and "Trick". "Ghost" puts you in the Ghost world, you use the stylus to move your spirit from core to core. You also use the "Ghost" power to travel back to the human world. While in the human world, you can possess objects, you can then preform "Tricks" on them.

Gameplay: As a ghost with only two powers, it takes a lot of skill, brains, and timing to save people. Tricks are your main weapon. To get around, your main system of travel is by telephone lines. When someone calls, you can "Possess" (Place yourself on the telephone's core) and see who is on the other side of the telephone, you can also travel to phones that you've done this on. You can also "Talk" to people that have died by "Possessing" their corpse.

World Design: The game feels very well put together. Nothing seems out of place, and the areas you travel to feel very fluid in design. From the junkyard, to a restaurant, to an official's office, the scenery never stays boring, and the items used to travel with are always matching, and in the right places.

Puzzles: This game has them. And lots of them.

Having only two powers, the game is very difficult. Not because of a lack of powers, but because of how the world reacts to them. Because timing is everything, missing an important "Trick" will cause the person you're saving to die. The game also has you constantly racing against the clock, sometimes down to the very last second.

Music: (I can't do sound I suck) The game's soundtrack is very, very good, and it fits in well with the moods and theme of the game.

muuuuusics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFXOJ1mkKtI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrxEVT0wHMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3khsva6E8

Other stuff about the game: You can play a free, (Probably) legal demo here if you are interested in trying it out for yourself.

Final Decision: The game has fast paced puzzles, funny dialogue, ridiculous plot twists, and an excellent cast of characters. The DS version of the game can be bought for around 20$ US money, and the iOS version has the first few chapters for free, and each set of chapters (About four or five each) can be bought for 5$ US, or the whole thing for 10$

If you like puzzle games, then this is worth a buy.
For those who aren't in to puzzle games, this is an okay place to start off, and is greatly worth your time.

Overall score on the Duncan scale: Syscoord saying "Banana"

Sites used: Wikipedia, because I can't remember technical information about games.
Google, Because you can never have enough pictures.
Youtube, MUUUUUUSIIIIIIC

I dare you to listen to the whole thing.
Attachments
WHAT DID I JUST READ?
WHAT DID I JUST READ?
yougottabekidding_sissel.png (29.39 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
"Look at the sky, is there a heaven out there? What do you see? Is it a road to nowhere? I see a mountain, high, that reaches to the sky forever."

It begins with a ring-leader; in this case Bob "Flaming Carrot" Burden. "We'll make history, lads" he enthues "The first up-tempo, now, 1980's, happening kind of comic book artists to ever draw on a girl's legs in a strange hotel room".