Ubuntu Phone

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
Kyuenmaru

Ubuntu Phone

Post by Kyuenmaru »

I'm hyped for this OS. Tired of android, and I'm not going to fall victim for Apple's marceting.

It's going to be a clean, smooth and and have an awesome color scheme (in my opinion). They have taken inspiration from the android toolbar at the top, which you drag to the middle. What is the difference? Each edge of the screen has a different function. The left edge cycles between open programs/applications. The lower edge opens a menu with choices (like if you would hold your finger on for example an image in android). The left edge opens a sidebar with all your programs/apps/whatchamightcallit, and the upper edge of your screen will have you choose between opening your settings, contacts, calling, etc. And the startpage? Not much on there. Fill it in with your most active apps/programs/whateveryougetthepoint. I think there also are an equivalient to android widgets you can put on there.

Nice, huh. I'm hyped. More hyped than I was for MoH: Warfighter (Which in the end was a flop).

I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to the advanced specifications, firmware, blabla, and maybe other people who are reading this aren't as well.. So. Here's a video to get you hyped.

Did I do that linking right? Hopefully I did.
DelusionalSyko

Re: Ubuntu Phone

Post by DelusionalSyko »

I'm actually glad that Linux is starting to branch out more. They're actually a pretty descent desktop OS these days. Considering the fact that the "App store" was originally a Linux/Ubuntu invention, other big businesses learned a lot from them.

There's one HUGE thing that kills Ubuntu and Linux and that's compatibility. Windows and Mac are easy to use because they have such a huge market for software and hardware. Linux becomes more of a pain because it doesn't sync well with other network devices.

I'm interested in this phone. But I'm more interested in a windows phone (For work purposes, mainly) Windows 8 RT looks pretty neat, and I'd like to upgrade this Droid eventually. But I'll keep an eye on that Ubuntu phone.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
Kyuenmaru

Post by Kyuenmaru »

DelusionalSyko wrote:There's one HUGE thing that kills Ubuntu and Linux and that's compatibility. Windows and Mac are easy to use because they have such a huge market for software and hardware. Linux becomes more of a pain because it doesn't sync well with other network devices.
I forgot to mention another awesome part. When you link your phone/tablet to a computer, it will lanch Ubuntu Phone on that computer via your phone without having to install anything. That has to be good. One of the thing I dislike with my Huawei w. Android is the fact that it's way too annoying trying to share anything with my laptop.
kju:enmɑru: in phonetics. Not Kai-you-enn.
Kyuenmaru

Post by Kyuenmaru »

kju:enmɑru: in phonetics. Not Kai-you-enn.