Your rig

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
DelusionalSyko

Re: Your rig

Post by DelusionalSyko »

Alex wrote:I need to get a bracket for it, considering it's a 2.5" HDD. So in the meantime, it can just hang there.
I spaced on buying a second 2.5" drive bay when I built my friend's computer, so I just taped it to the drive bay chasis. Considering it's an SSD that produces almost no heat and is a lot more resilient to vibration or shock damage, It doesn't really matter.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

Well, I could go YOLO and do that, but I would rather just buy a bracket and have it look more organized than just sticking it to the side with tape.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

Alex wrote:Well, I could go YOLO and do that, but I would rather just buy a bracket and have it look more organized than just sticking it to the side with tape.
Or, you can just buy some fancy zebra tape and make it look like the heart of Africa up in that beasty.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

Time to give an update about my rig/setup thingy.

Since last time, I've gotten a new screen, cleaned my desk (so I actually could take a picture without people spazzing out saying: Y U NO CLEAN DESK!?) aaaaand a new mouse. Just to let you know, the pictures aren't super-duper fantastic high quality, because I took it with my Galaxy S3 (for some reason, it messes up EVERY picture I take with the camera), but it still has a pretty good quality on them.

So here's my setup, it hasn't changed spec-wise/computer-wise, but I haven't really uploaded anything about my setup (I don't remember it, if I have done it before).

First off: Desk with the screens, mouse + keyboard.
As you can see on this picture, I have two pretty similar screen sizes. The left one is an HP 2311x, a 23" 1080p monitor. Bought this pretty cheap from Hawkiee, and it replaced my old 19" (I think), which was running on 1280x1024. My right monitor is a BenQ GL2450HM. The keyboard is the same as from my last post, a Logitech G110 (got it from Hawkiee :D) and my mouse is a SteelSeries Kinzu V2 (Yellow edition, as you can see), which I also got from Hawkiee (but this time as an early birthday gift!).
Below the left monitor, is my HP Pavilion G6-1216so laptop, which I'm using whenever I am away from home and such. You can also see my center + front speakers that are hooked up to my 5.1 surround system, which I got from Hawkiee (WHAT A SURPRISE). And right in front of my right speaker is my Ozone Attack Gaming (Snow - Limited Edition) headset.

On the picture below, you can see my subwoofer, as a part of my surround system and my computer case. Aaaaaaaaaaand a giant wire mess.

This picture is old, but I just wanted to re-post it to finish off.
Wire mess inside here too, bottom-right are my HDD's. The one hanging is a 500 GB-5400 RPM one, the one fastened into the case with the brackets is my main HDD with 1000GB, or 1 TB-7200RPM.
Top is my processor, even though you only see the stock fan on top of the CPU, which I do plan to get water-cooled.
Middle is my graphics card, and the bottom is my power supply. My specs are written below if you want to know the specifics, but I've also mentioned them before in a previous post (now they include links!).
(If you know all about this, don't whine if I mention it, not everyone is a computer "nerd")
Recently I managed to make my computer not boot properly, when I contacted Hawkiee (because he knows this a lot better than me), he managed to hook up the blue fan in the top-right. Unfortunately, it doesn't have lights :(

Enough talking, here are my specs. I have tried to find links to specifications about every part, accessory, monitor etc. just so you can have a better look at them.

Case: CM Storm Scout - Link
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 - Link
CPU: Intel i5 2500k - Link w/ Corsair Hydro H80i! (Link)
GPU (Graphics): ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti (DC2-2GD5) - Link
RAM: 8 GB (Crucial 1333 MHz - 2*4GB kit) - Link #1 - Link #2
PSU (Power supply): Corsair GS 600W - Link
Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda (1000 GB/1TB - 7200 RPM) - Link - Image link (because the page has so many different models) + Hitachi Travelstar (500 GB - 5400 RPM) - Link
Monitors: BenQ GL2450HM (24" - 1080p) - Link + HP 2311x (23" - 1080p) - Link
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 (Yellow Edition) - Link
Keyboard: Logitech G110 - Link
Headset + microphone: Turtle Beach Earforce Z11 - Link (Old: Ozone Attack Snow - Link)

HP Pavilion G6-1216so (my laptop) - Link
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

^I tend to give away a lot of stuff, if you haven't noticed. :P

Now, I've built Alex's PC, and helped several others. Never had any money to build my own, even with all of my hardware knowledge. #NotBraggingBecauseThisHashTagSaysIt

But now's the time to reveal my new build! Bought it for about $700 (which is cheap in Norway) because I couldn't spend that much. I took the money from my savings account (had about $6587 there), and I wanted to spend as little as possible, but still build an awesome rig. In the future I'll need the remaining on that account for a car, a house etc...

Enough about that, let's see the pictures.

Here's my desktop, simple but nice. Well, I think so.
Monitor: ViewSonic VG1921wm 16:10 @1440x600
Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4
Mouse: Roccat Lua

This is the case itself, CM Storm Enforcer Midi Tower. I love it. Excuse the dust on the side and the top ;)

And here it is! The inner workings of this machine.

This is what you call a budget PC, but it is a powerful PC! As you see, I've bought a m-ATX motherboard, so I could've bought a Mini-Tower, but I didn't want that. They're more expensive, less space for i.e. hard drives, cable management, 5,25" gadgets (although I don't use those, like CD Roms) and I like this case.

I'm planning to upgrade the weakest part of this machine, the GPU. It has a Zotac GeForce GTX 650 1GB card which runs Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings with maxed out resolution (1440x900) at a smooth 40-60+FPS. Why do I want to upgrade that card, then? Because I can ;) Just kidding, it's because I want to be "future-proof" so I could keep up with the games for years. So my plans are to upgrade to a Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce 3X edition: Picture link
It has the best price/performance ratio and is easily overclockable to outperform even the GTX 680 because of the massive cooling. It's not decided 100% yet, and I'll see what card it will be (if I decide to buy any) when I've saved up enough money.

The i5-3470 shouldn't bottleneck any single-GPU at all and is a great processor for its price. The Noctua cooler keeps it cold, and quiet(!) even at full load. Got readings of 40-45 degrees while playing Far Cry 3 on Ultra. Haven't benchmarked it yet.

I also plan to upgrade my monitor to a 23/24" 1080p (or more), but the monitor I've got right now is actually nice. I prefer 16:10 over 16:9 for both gaming and browsing etc. Probably a 1TB drive too, we'll see.

That's about it. I hope this rig works as long as possible, and finally I can play without lag or other problems.

Specs:

Case: CM Storm Enforcer Midi Tower
CPU: Intel® LGA1155 Core i5-3470, Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.2Ghz, 6MB
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB
MB: MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 1GB Synergy Edition
PSU: Corsair CX 600W
HDD: 3,5" Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM (primary, for Windows/programs) 2,5" Seagate Momentus 320GB 5400RPM (secondary for games and videos)
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
Kyuenmaru

Post by Kyuenmaru »

Ok.. I never thought the day I when I was gonna post here would come.

The pc, which I'm currently on, is a cheap to medium priced laptop with meh specs. However, the days of lag will soon be over, as I'm going to (try to) build a good gaming computer!

First of all, I want to post some rough specs of my current laptop for comparison.

HD: 500 GB
RAM: 4 GB
CPU: Intel i3-2310M 2.10Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 520M (512MB VidRam)
Screen: 1366 x 768 (13 Inches, I believe.)

(Everything else is impossible to find information on, because this laptop is a bag of crap, and Speccy doesn't work on it.)

But then... Soon.. I will get the parts I ordered!

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD: Crucial M500 120GB
Power supply: Corsair CX 500W
CPU: Intel i5-3470 (Quad core @3.2Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
RAM: 8GB DD33
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (2 GB GDDR5) MSI Twin Frozr edition

Screen: Acer 21.5 (1920x1080)
Keyboard: Logitech Washable K310
Mouse: ROCCAT LUA Tri-Button Gaming Mouse

Pictures and videos will come when I actually get this.. In nine days. They're out of the HD wires I ordered.
kju:enmɑru: in phonetics. Not Kai-you-enn.
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

They're called SATA cables, and are not used for HDD's only. SATA cables are used for DVD drives too.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Markusmoo
Banned

Post by Markusmoo »

Alex wrote:They're called SATA cables, and are not used for HDD's only. SATA cables are used for DVD drives too.
As well as many peripherals!
DA KID

Post by DA KID »

Kyuen, You're hard drive is bigger than my desktop hard drive. 160 gb. 160 GB!!!
Anyway, I got some pics of mah setup :3
Mah tower and keyboard, Which goes on my lap :P (And a perplexus)
Mah setup, Turtle beach X11 headset, Razer Nostromo, Razer Goliathus mousepad, and mah Razer Deathadder mouse. My monitor is the Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Flat panel. I hate it, It has a really odd resolution + Aspect ratio (Trade, Anyone?)
And my totally 1337 specs.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
AMD A8-3870 Llano apu
8.00GB DDR3 Ram @ 799MHz
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. F1A55-M LX PLUS (FM1) Motherboard
149GB Seagate ST3160813AS Hard drive (It says 160 gb on it 0_0)
HP DVD Writer 1260t
What the.......Did I win?
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

DA KID wrote:149GB Seagate ST3160813AS Hard drive (It says 160 gb on it 0_0)
Computers take off around ~7%. Why? To us, a megabyte is 1,000,000 bytes, and a gigabyte is 1,000,000,000 bytes.

To a comuter, a megabyte is around 1,050,000, and a gigabyte is around 1,075,000,000. So you lose about 70mb/gb.