Migrate from Mumble to TeamSpeak 3.

This is the forum for your suggestions for the server and forums. Suggest what we could do better, or a new feature for our forum!

Is it okay to migrate from Mumble to TeamSpeak 3?

Yes.
88%
No (please specify why).
13%

Total votes: 16

Alex
FADW Guardian

Migrate from Mumble to TeamSpeak 3.

Post by Alex »

So our Mumble server is getting shut down in a month (because I'm not paying for one when we could host a voice server on our VDS).
Therefore I would like to know if people are willing to use TeamSpeak instead of Mumble. The change wouldn't be that different, other than it would be A LOT easier for me to set it up. I'm more used to TeamSpeak, and I think it's better to use overall (administration-wise, at least). It's basically the same as Mumble, just looks different, so I am asking (poll) if you're all willing to move to TeamSpeak.

I'm currently working on a test TeamSpeak 3 server to use on our VDS, so I'll edit this post with some more info once it's up.

Please vote at least "yes" or "no". And if you vote "no", please specify why you can't migrate. If it's something stupid like "because TeamSpeak takes up more space on my hard drive", then I'm going to ignore you completely.

TeamSpeak 3 download: Click here.

Server info:
IP Address: 74.91.118.210

That's all you need to connect, it's running on default port.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
TheRedDuncan
FADW Admin

Re: Migrate from Mumble to TeamSpeak 3.

Post by TheRedDuncan »

It's shouldn't be a problem for me to switch. I don't have teamspeak, but that can be changed.
"Look at the sky, is there a heaven out there? What do you see? Is it a road to nowhere? I see a mountain, high, that reaches to the sky forever."

It begins with a ring-leader; in this case Bob "Flaming Carrot" Burden. "We'll make history, lads" he enthues "The first up-tempo, now, 1980's, happening kind of comic book artists to ever draw on a girl's legs in a strange hotel room".
DA KID

Post by DA KID »

This would not be good. Teamspeak is really clunky, Higher latency, doesn't have as good of a codec, and isn't open source.
What the.......Did I win?
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

Clunky? Please explain.

Latency wouldn't matter as much either. It's not like you need it to be as instant as possible.
Codec can also be changed.

Open source? Why would we need it to be open source?
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
DA KID

Post by DA KID »

Clunky as in more cpu intensive/bigger file.
latency, Voice chat needs to be snappy, If you're playing minecraft for example, and your friend is getting attacked, That latency can mean the difference between life and death. Also, Spies.
Open source is generally better, But it means that it's easier to tweak at the code level. Which is good if anyone can code, also, It means plugins are easier to make.\
Edit: Here's a thing, Read it http://blog.mumble.info/oh-no-weve-made-a-buzzword/
Edit 2: Read through this thread http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/mumbl ... ?f=2&t=178
What the.......Did I win?
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

DA KID wrote:Clunky as in more cpu intensive/bigger file.
Not our fault if your PC is crap and cant handle a simple voice chat program, and 70mb of data(Mumble is 40).
DA KID wrote:If you're playing minecraft for example, and your friend is getting attacked, That latency can mean the difference between life and death

a>.5s delay wont change life or death.
DA KID wrote:Open source is generally better, But it means that it's easier to tweak at the code level. Which is good if anyone can code, also, It means plugins are easier to make.\
There is no need for coding, or any coding we have to do.

So TS3 is great, and if you don't like it, too bad. You'll notice a minuscule difference, probably none at all, so deal with it.
Deth V
The Weird One

Post by Deth V »

DA KID wrote:Clunky as in more cpu intensive/bigger file.
Not by much... TS3 uses 23 MB of RAM, which is barely anything in today's standards And I checked the CPU usage, barely registered, and I'm on a crappy pentium dual core processor (E5200 @2.50 GHz)

latency, Voice chat needs to be snappy, If you're playing minecraft for example, and your friend is getting attacked, That latency can mean the difference between life and death. Also, Spies.

Latency is barely higher, devolpers said themselves in that sourceforge thread.
Open source is generally better, But it means that it's easier to tweak at the code level. Which is good if anyone can code, also, It means plugins are easier to make.\
I do agree open source generally can be better, but we have no need of plugins, also, team speak has more features than I like, it's more easy to add to and maintain, it's familiar.
"You know what the first rule of flying is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her a home."
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

Even if we needed more plugins/addons, TeamSpeak's website has it's own section for that.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

I guess it's set. 12:1 ratio on Yes-No votes. People don't seem to mind migrating to TS3, even though there is one person protesting.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!