GMod Server's Downtime (This seems to happen a lot)

This is the place to post important announcements, we will post announcements here from time to time, remember, you can post your own announcements too!
Alex
FADW Guardian

GMod Server's Downtime (This seems to happen a lot)

Post by Alex »

So the Garry's Mod server is down, and yet again I have no clue how to fix it.

It seems to have crashed due to unknown reasons, the last log shows a traitor killing someone, but not who, so I'm not if it just decided to crash, or it crashed because of that kill (which would be just even more stupid).

Sorry about that, I'll attempt to fix it, but I don't know if I'm able to.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Re: GMod Server's Downtime (This seems to happen a lot)

Post by hawkiee552 »

Like I said previously, you should install Windows ME on it. That will fix all your problems.

But it might be script errors og Source engine's physics acting up? Killing a person means it get's ragdolled and weapons fall to the ground, which can freak out (spaghetti code Source) and crash the server.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

That would output an error to the log.

Also, it's not starting. The infamous ragdoll crash at least lets us easily start the server back up.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

Well, good luck solving it, because I know nothing about servers ):
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
TheOnlyShare

Post by TheOnlyShare »

All I remember happening was the server was lagging TERRIBLY bad. So Pyro decided we should crash the server to get rid of the lag. He FIRST made a vote to see if we SHOULD crash the server, the vote was "Yes" So Pyro jailed everyone and whipped everyone 100 times with 100 damage. I have no idea if this crash is relevant to what Pyro did, or afterwards. Just thought i'd let you know what was happening with the server, :P
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

That was not the case. It would've said in the log, but the latest log shows nothing of that sorts. It might have cut off before that moment, but if he managed to jail everyone THEN have time to whip everyone, I don't think that caused the crash.

EDIT: It actually crashed half an hour (approximately) after he whipped/jailed everyone.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
TheRedDuncan
FADW Admin

Post by TheRedDuncan »

Alex wrote: It actually crashed half an hour (approximately) after he whipped/jailed everyone.
So the server could handle about 16000 bodies? That's impressive.
"Look at the sky, is there a heaven out there? What do you see? Is it a road to nowhere? I see a mountain, high, that reaches to the sky forever."

It begins with a ring-leader; in this case Bob "Flaming Carrot" Burden. "We'll make history, lads" he enthues "The first up-tempo, now, 1980's, happening kind of comic book artists to ever draw on a girl's legs in a strange hotel room".
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

The ragdolls themselves don't cause the normal crashes we usually have, but the physics of them. As long as the ragdolls stay still, we can pretty much have a load of them.

I still haven't managed to fix it, and I don't think I will be able to. Sorry guys, but for now, you gotta stick to the Minecraft server.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Port_A_Build

Post by Port_A_Build »

Oh, so that's why I can't connect. I verified all my games and restarted Steam to find out that this was the problem. Hm... I wonder if the cause of the crash happened before the kill.
"Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love." - Will L. Thompson, Have I Done any Good?
I'm Port_A_Build, the Portaller.

Come join the Kingdom at 24.21.3.62:27015. Complete with one of the most complicated gamemodes ever and a family friendly rule.
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

It might've been as soon as the kill got registered.

The logs say like this "[KILL] Name [Traitor]..." then just ends there. Doesn't state who or what role that person had. The kill just seems to have triggered a crash that doesn't let me start the dang server back up.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!