PC Dead - Won't be on server for a while

This is the place to post important announcements, we will post announcements here from time to time, remember, you can post your own announcements too!
Nerd
FADW Guardian

PC Dead - Won't be on server for a while

Post by Nerd »

So, my laptop pretty much just died... Screen's gone white and whenever I turn it on it either bluescreens, freezes, or the display just dies. it also has a habit of freezing in safe mode :/

So I will try to be on the server as soon as I can, but unless anyone has any good ideas to fix this (note: formatted my PC at least 10 times yesterday with freezes in the middle of them most of the time) I won't be on until I get a new laptop.. yes I need a laptop, not a desktop at this time, for school and such, so yeah..

If anyone has any suggestions on a good, high performance laptop (preferably 1tb hdd with a decent amount of ram and graphics card.. not alienware or razer) that'd be great too...

but I'll still be on the forums as much as I can and on steam and skype on my phone, maybe even on my laptop for short periods of time in between BSoDs.
Live your best life. It's the only one we get.
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Re: PC Dead - Won't be on server for a while

Post by hawkiee552 »

Sounds like a hardware issue, faulty GPU or RAM maybe?

I can find a decent laptop for you which has a nice dedicated card (GT 740 or Radeon 7750M) and a powerful enough CPU (i5/A8). However, it might not be avaible in NZ because I'm familiar with the models that we have here in Norway. You could search the model number up though and see if some retailers sell it. I can also search through models avaible for NZ if you want.

Yeah, I don't like Alienware or Razer when it comes to laptops/computers. They're overpriced and nothing but trouble.
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

He already found one that he showed me, hawkiee. It seems to be really good running on i7-4700MQ, having 16 GB RAM and a GT 740M with 2 GB dedicated RAM.

Also two 1TB HDDs, 5400 RPM, but he told me that wasn't a problem. AND AMAZING BEATS AUDIO *sarcasm*

Link he sent
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
sniper101

Post by sniper101 »

Hey I have A question Why does some prefer Intel i5 processor

Like hawkie isn't Intel i7 processor doesn't it just consume more electricity?
I love bicycling.
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

sniper101 wrote:Hey I have A question Why does some prefer Intel i5 processor

Like hawkie isn't Intel i7 processor doesn't it just consume more electricity?
The i5 processors are powerful enough as they're Quad Core and running at a high GHz with lots of technology to help. i7 is more expensive, consumes a bit more power and has HyperThreading, that is the main difference. That means the processor has 4 physical cores (Quad Core) and 8 logical cores or "threads" that gives you better multitasking performance.

In my opinion, i5 is more than sufficient for gaming and editing, but if you want more multitasking power like in a professional workstation, you'd go for a i7. It's a matter of price/performance ratio, some i5 processors are faster than some i7 processors at a lower price.

i5 processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/68316/ (same as I bought for my build, excellent processor)
i7 processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/65719/
Nerd
FADW Guardian

Post by Nerd »

AND AMAZING BEATS AUDIO *sarcasm*
I have a speaker system anyway... so does it really matter what the built in speakers are like :S?
Live your best life. It's the only one we get.
sniper101

Post by sniper101 »

lol I learn alot from hawkie

but more is better :l
I love bicycling.
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

sniper101 wrote:lol I learn alot from hawkie

but more is better :l
Thanks!

It is, so the i7 is better, no doubt, but it's all about your own preference.

I'm on a budget, so I'd choose an i5 because it's more than enough for me, but if I didn't have any budget limit and could choose any processor in the i3/i5/i7 series, I'd obviously go with an i7. If I'd choose any processor at all, I'd go for two Xenon's. The top models have 16 cores with 32 threads total! :D
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

I assume that Nerd chose that laptop for multiple reasons: It's cheap. It has nice specs and will keep him going on high-end games (unless he's an idiot again and crashes his computer once more, watch me jinx it), also it has Beats Audio!!1!11!!!!!one!!!11one!!1

(I'm never going to get tired of that joke)
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

Alex wrote:also it has Beats Audio!!1!11!!!!!one!!!11one!!1
Beats = SWAG

And that's about enough said.