Interwebs Problems

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
Shameful

Interwebs Problems

Post by Shameful »

Okay so recently our modem started dying and our ISP told us it was the router that was bad, so we hooked up a different router and the same things started happening (Slow connection speeds, crashes, etc.) then the modem just stopping working. We got a better one from our ISP which was a Router + Modem all in one single tower, it worked fine until my dad tried giving each of our devices dedicated IP's so when we get on the wifi our IP's are the same (like 10.0.0.1) and ever since then my amazing USB wifi adapter stopped working, and I'm stuck using my old antennae wifi card which pulls 800 kb down and 10 mbp up (how is that possible?) and it takes 20 minutes to download 12 megabytes. I was wondering if someone could help me seeing as my USB WiFi adapter pulled 20 down and 15 up. It's making me mad because I have to play games solo because my ping on everything slowly crawls higher and higher. :(
Oh No! The Detective got knifed what a shame!
You didn't kill anyone with that jihad you should feel ashamed!
You killed your Traitor Buddy, you're getting slain, it's a shame!
I hate those jokes >:(
Alex
FADW Guardian

Re: Interwebs Problems

Post by Alex »

If you're able to, make it choose IP address automatically through the wifi card. You should be able to do so through the Windows settings, I'll try to explain.

This is for Windows 7, and you probably will need to hook your wifi adapter into the USB.
First open up your Control Panel (Start -> Control Panel) and go into "Network & Internet" (this might actually say something a bit different, I'm just translating from my Norwegian Windows, so bear with me).
Next step, go into "Network and Sharings Center", should be the first option after going into the Network part of the Control Panel.
In the "Network and Sharing center", on the left side, should be something saying like: "Change settings for network cards." it should be third option after "Homepage for Control Panel" and "Administer wireless networks".
Now you gotta choose the right adapter, it can be named anything, usually it's only "Wireless Network Connection", because Windows named it so. Right-click it and click 'Properties'.
There should be a list of a bunch of stuff, what you need to focus on is the "Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4)", select it and click Properties again.
Now, this last part should be easy. Make sure both settings are set to "Automatic" and click OK. Click "Close" on the window you selected "Internet Protocol version 4" on and the settings should save.

Now I would like to know why your dad wants to set up allocated IPs. I know it's convenient, but if your router is any good, it should show MAC Address as well as a "display name" for the device connected to it.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Shameful

Post by Shameful »

I honestly don't know why he was doing it but it messed up my wifi card, what happens (I forgot to mention this sorry forgot) is the WiFi card connects to the router but then it has a little error sign and when I mouse over it, it says our SSID and under that it says "No Internet Access" but all of our devices connect fine, except for my iPod Touch which connects but does the same thing it's connected but can't access the internet. I've seen my dad edit the settings and he changed it so My PC gets an automatic IP Address and the problem still persists and he did with my iPod, and keeps saying that its my computer thats broken and I don't think thats the problem because I've never had this problem before and if 3 of my devices are doing it then I don't think its my devices I think its the router. (My PS3 also has a 50/50 chance and even when I do get on the speeds are really bad) Also, Alex everything in the IPv4 was set to automatic, and the router shows the devices connected and the ones that have been on, but are not currently on.
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

Hmm... you can always try resetting the router then. Even though it's new. There should be hole in the back that says "Reset", poke a pen or something similar into it and hold it for 30 seconds.

And if you're desperate, try troubleshooting through Windows. It might help, but for this issue, I doubt it.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Shameful

Post by Shameful »

I've done both of those and niether one works, I hoping this could be fixed soon seeing as my birthday was last week, but since the fourth of july nobody would be available to give me presents and if I get money there are a couple things I would like to buy but with a slow internet connection none of it is possible :C
Shameful

Post by Shameful »

My reset the entire router, and all my devices connected including my USB Adapter :D

Download Speed: 25042 kbps (3130.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 10550 kbps (1318.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
7/17/2013 5:16:46 AM
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

That's quite good.
3 mb/s download & 1.3 mb/s upload. Glad you got it fixed.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!