Need help with Garry's Mod

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
BritishGuy

Need help with Garry's Mod

Post by BritishGuy »

(I don't know if this is the right place or not.) So my friend LelllowYemon's Garry's mod won't start, she was messing in the settings to get this black bars off her screen to the point where it was on one side of the screen, she messed around some more and it just went black. We closed it and re-opened it to just have it return to desktop (But the Gmod icon is still there.) So she doesn't know what to do to get it working so I thought I would ask you guys if you knew what to do.

Things she has tried,

-Deleting Gmod
-Re-installing Gmod
-Restarting her Computer

Thanks if you can help or try to help.
Do you want some tea, Sire?
Markusmoo
Banned

Re: Need help with Garry's Mod

Post by Markusmoo »

Hey, so could you please provide screenshots of the problem. It is hard to understand what the problem is without actually visually seeing it.

From what I hear, it could be a graphics card problem, I had a similar problem with Minecraft with my laptop. Do the bars like flicker and glitch around? As I said screenshots or a video would help us figure out the problem.
LellowYemon

Post by LellowYemon »

Alrightly, so I have included a screenshot. Heh, it doesnt look like anything but the black bar in the top right hand corner is supposed to be gmod. While I was trying to fix the resolution on gmod and somehow I messed it up completely. Britishguy suggest uninstalling and installing it to reset the settings and rebooting the computer but sadly the attempts have failed.
Please halp. ; _;
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (394.7 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

This happens to me quite often, usually when I alt tab at a loading screen. Try ending the task/process (obv), restarting steam, then verifying integrity of game cache, and launch again.
LellowYemon

Post by LellowYemon »

I did what you suggested, but I still have the same problem occurring. After I verified the integrity of game cache, it said, "1 files failed to validate and will be required." Any other ideas?
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

When it happens again, check the taskmanager to see if it is responding, or not. if it is, try waiting for it to respond. if not, kill it. Also, try updating your drivers for your GPU.

Also, try adding this to launch params (right click the game, properties, set launch options): -windowed -noborder
Port_A_Build

Post by Port_A_Build »

Try validating any Source game attached to GMod as well as GMod.
"Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love." - Will L. Thompson, Have I Done any Good?
I'm Port_A_Build, the Portaller.

Come join the Kingdom at 24.21.3.62:27015. Complete with one of the most complicated gamemodes ever and a family friendly rule.
LellowYemon

Post by LellowYemon »

Thank you Soul, I made it a window and now it works. :D I appreciate the help~
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

No problem, hope to see you around