Your rig

This is the forums to discuss about computers and general electronics, as for some of us, this is a major hobby!

Need any help with computers? Post and we will try to help to the best of our ability!
Dergle

Re: Your rig

Post by Dergle »

DelusionalSyko wrote:
deathham wrote:Thank you, didnt really know that and now you saved me a couple hundred dollars!
The 2500k/2400 is an amazing proc. But at this time, sadly, it's outdated and has been replaced. So getting the most recent architecture is always good :)

If you wanted to, you can swap it out for an AMD build and save even more money. Most people are insanely against AMD building for gaming, but I'm still a huge fan of AMD and I'm interested in building one for gaming. HOWEVER amd is budget. They are no where near the performance speed of Intel's chips. You can compare a quad-core processor vs an intel quad-core at the same speed, and the Intel will demolish it and stomp it into the dirt. But if you're on a strict budget, it's something to look into.

Also, I've noticed a lot of pre-built desktops with pretty descent hardware for good prices. Building PC's these days seems to be slightly more expensive rather than buying it from a company. Check out some HP builds and Asus builds to see if you can find a good deal. I just recently saw a build with an i7 proc 8gb of ram for about $700 - $800. And it also comes with a warranty :)

Graphics is just as important as processor. I would rather have an insanely fast processor and a crappy GPU. A lot of games these days, as well as a lot of graphically enhanced programs (Flash player) is CPU accelerated. So if you can get an i7 proc, I would HIGHLY recommend that over the i5. Most of the i7's support hyperthreading, and none of the i5s support it.
I would comment on this whole post but I'm far too tired to do that right now haha.
Anyways, I just wanted to comment on your last segment about the i7. If this guy is building it purely for gaming, go for an i5. The performance increase on actual speed per core in minimal from the i5 to the i7 on stock speeds. While the i5 does only have four cores with no hyper-threading, and while the i7 has eight effective cores with hyper-threading, this will serve miniscule or even non-existent performance increase in most, or even any game. If you're doing video editing or the like, the more cores the merrier! Get those guys to work, because those programs can use every core they can get their hands on. But for gaming purpose, most games will utilize a maximum of four cores, if even that. Many games still don't even take advantage of four cores, and none to my knowledge take advantage of eight. It's just simply not how games are optimized right now. So save yourself some money, buy a good i5, like a 3570k if you plan to OC, and get your game on!

Edit: Apologies Delusional, I didn't read your post very thoroughly, and I just kind of assumed what you wrote for some reason :/. I guess I was too tired that night, and apparently had wanted to type a lot haha.
Last edited by Dergle on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm that Dergle guy.

Main Power
Processor: I5-3570k OC @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: 8GB G.Skill 1600Mhz
Storage: 1x 120Gb Sandisk Extreme SSD, 1x 500Gb Samsung HDD
GPU: XFX Double D 7850
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

I already built a list of parts with an i5 in it, so I'm obviously recommending the i5 for his build. I merely suggested that if he were to go and buy a pre-built computer, to get an i7 because they're better processors. But for his budget for a hand-built computer, it's too expensive and not a good option. He would be better off investing an a SSD.

Not entirely sure why you just lectured me on something I already know, and also has nothing to do with what I posted.

It doesn't take a genius to know that the i7's are better than the i5's. Gaming included.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=551
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

Custom built PC for a friend of mine :)

Specs:

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid tower
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k Quad @ 3.40Ghz
Heatsinc: Stock intel cooler
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Edition
PSU: Cooler Master Silent ProM 600W Fully Modular
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 2x4 (8GB Installed)
HDD: OCZ Agility 240GB x2 in Raid Array 0
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Optical: Asus DRW DVD Burner

Other:
2 top mounted 120mm Cougar Dual-X blade red LED (Exhaust)
2 side mounted (door) 120mm Cougar Turbine (Intake)
red LED sleeved kit 1 meter
Attachments
2013-02-18_16-53-24_899.jpg
2013-02-18_16-53-24_899.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4048 times
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
GeForce GTX 570
pyrojb3

Post by pyrojb3 »

just throwing it out there but "my rig" is now known by many as "my gran pappy's typewriter" due to it being a pc i built several years ago and being somewhat out of date now
DankPancakeSwag

Post by DankPancakeSwag »

I'll throw some pictures up later, but here is what I'm working with:

Case: Azza Solano 1000R Blue
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Deneb (OC to 4.0 GHz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 water cooling block
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper
PSU: Antec Neo HE 550
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX

Mouse: Logitech G700
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Headset: Creative Fatal1ty

Planning on getting a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 to replace the 8800GTX
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

My new background :)

NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
GeForce GTX 570
hawkiee552
FADW Moderator

Post by hawkiee552 »

DelusionalSyko wrote:My new background :)
Looks awesome, nice clean desktop :)
You can call me Hawkie. I love audio-, video-, and network-equipment.
micswix

Post by micswix »

My desk top is a farcry three thing where the image is cut in half, but I lined up all the shortcuts to be in that little middle piece. I'll post a picture later. And one of my set up I guess
unicow2945

Post by unicow2945 »

I'm at total noob when it comes to computers, so i doubt half of this stuff I am about to list has any importance whatsoever :S. As you all probably know by now, I use a mac...so other then the pretty shell my computer isn't that great.

Model: MacBookPro8,1
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2300 Mhz
4 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported

Operating System Version:
MacOS 10.8.2 (64 bit)

Video Card:
Driver: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Driver Version: 1.2
Driver Date: 0 0
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 0 Hz
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x126
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1280 x 800
Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 800
Primary Display Size: 11.22" x 7.01" (13.23" diag)
28.5cm x 17.8cm (33.6cm diag)
Primary VRAM: 579 MB

Memory:
RAM: 10240 Mb
A-Walrurus by any other name...
shijujin

Post by shijujin »

All I got is a Toshiba laptop
Think this stuffs important
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite L745D
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version CCB.03.61.111.00
Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9647)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
(do spoilers work I tried the code for it and nothing)