Server Issue

This forum will contain information and suggestions towards the Minecraft server that FADW has. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them.

Start a new Minecraft server (Survival-only)?

Yes, with a new world.
69%
Yes, using the same world.
19%
No, keep the old server (you will lose items from what you had in survival inventory).
13%
Other ideas? Post below.
No votes

Total votes: 16

Alex
FADW Guardian

Server Issue

Post by Alex »

So please read, because this is pretty important for the future of the server.

Attempting to update to 1.6.2 today worked fine, although a plugin messed up.
For some reason, the inventory + player placement mixed up between creative and survival. Everything you had in your inventory in survival got transferred over to creative, and then cleared out the creative inventory (that's not my main concern though, I'm just saying). I looked into it and restored a recent backup. The files were alright until I looked into Multiverse-Inventories. After updating to 1.6.2, it just didn't want to keep inventories where they should be. That became my main priority, and I attempt to move over files from the creative world to the survival world (inventory files). It did absolutely nothing. And while we could try to replace every single item someone had on the survival server, that would just be painful.

While on the other hand, Multiverse Nether portals still does not want to work, so that's not working either. After working around 2 hours with this, I have given up. And I'm wondering what to do.

I have been thinking about scrapping this server, and work on a new one that only has survival (that would make updating, and basically anything easier, because Multiverse is just a pain). We would have a vanilla server (with the exception of having grief protection and such) with only a survival world. Although, this would cause multiple cons, but also some pros.

Cons:
1. I would want to start a completely new world, and I know a bunch of people have done a lot of work on the server, with dedicated people.
2. It would take a bit of time to set up a new server, as I would have to filter out some plugins.
3. Creative would be gone, and I know SOME people like working on it more than survival. Although survival is the favorite.
4. Give me some more ideas what would be bad, because I haven't thought of anything else.

Pros:
1. Nether and The End access would be a lot easier, people would be able to access it so easily (if you have the portal(s))
2. Since we're running on 1.6.2, we require new chunks to get all the features. Like horses, this would help, because every chunk would be newly generated.
3. It would be a lot easier for me to do maintenance. The server would have less downtime while doing it.

Other:
If we end up doing this, I will host a download for the worlds so not all the work is completely lost. We're not overwriting anything.
Keeping the current survival world would technically be easier, although, we have older chunks, and I'd like to have new ones. It's all up to you.

This is only a last resort. I will look more into the issue, but I cannot guarantee anything. And before any of you previous Minecraft hosting "veterans" say anything. I've looked into every possibility and found nothing that can fix this, it worked fine before updating. And while we can just stick to 1.5.2, it's gonna get boring in the end (AND I WANT HORSES). I'm just out of ideas to do. You can give me suggestions on what to try, but I've most likely tried it already.

Other than that, sorry folks, but the server will be down for the time being until a final decision is made or I've fixed this issue. And just to mention, I'm not gonna use all of my time to do that today.

Latest backup download: http://decicus.com/fadwmc/August5th_2013.zip
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Renrag
FADW Moderator

Re: Server Issue

Post by Renrag »

Insert Share's rage here... :arrow:
If you leave them out too long, they'll be withered by the sun.

STEAM_0:1:40394628
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

I know Share has been dedicated to that server a lot.
Although, if I remember correctly, he said that he wanted a server that was completely vanilla (even though that's not possible). He probably meant as a separate server though.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
TheOnlyShare

Post by TheOnlyShare »

Alex wrote:I know Share has been dedicated to that server a lot.
Although, if I remember correctly, he said that he wanted a server that was completely vanilla (even though that's not possible). He probably meant as a separate server though.
Ehhhh, I tend not to use the /home command nor any warps unless needed. I'd love to make a nether hub to travel faster. Making a separate server would be easier to do, but I don't know how many people would actually be there except me *foreveralone* (Ironically, I'm wearing my foreveralone shirt right now)
Renrag
FADW Moderator

Post by Renrag »

That seems more vanilla like! ^-^
If you leave them out too long, they'll be withered by the sun.

STEAM_0:1:40394628
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

A nether hub would be cool to have, although, we might need to have a lot of space to add tunnels. I'll still add warps and such for people that like to use it (I will probably too until we get a nether hub and a tunnel).
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Alex
FADW Guardian

Post by Alex »

I added a download for the latest backup we have, for those who want it.
- Alex/Decactus

My Steam profile!
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

Personally, I'd be Ok with starting a fresh world in 1.6.2...
unicow2945

Post by unicow2945 »

If we restarted the desert outside of Kj's wouldn't be missing anymore for um...sandcastle reasons. The downside is that
around 10,000-15,000 blocks of sand arn't going to be outside of Shares house anymore :P.
A-Walrurus by any other name...
TheOnlyShare

Post by TheOnlyShare »

unicow2945 wrote:If we restarted the desert outside of Kj's wouldn't be missing anymore for um...sandcastle reasons. The downside is that
around 10,000-15,000 blocks of sand arn't going to be outside of Shares house anymore :P.
Seeing how the map might be reset, I'll help you rebuild your sand castle 100% this time. I'll dig up tons of sand and what not and help you build the thing