An Essay on Bronies, and why MLP:FiM appeals to various ages

This is the section to Vent about something that is stressing you, or to rant about something that is annoying or etc.

Please no cursing under this section.
Maxrazor

An Essay on Bronies, and why MLP:FiM appeals to various ages

Post by Maxrazor »

Why ‘My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic’ is a great T.V. Show

The desire for identity and the discovery of a person or thing that you can closely relate to is an integral part of our sociological quest. Stemming from our childhood, the crave to bond with like-minded individuals affects the friendships we make, the media we indulge in, and even the clothes we wear and the food we eat. Although they differ in many ways, children around the world have one important thing in common; the dream of all the possible occupations or lifestyles that they will pursue as they get older. Oftentimes the proposed future-jobs stem from personal interests, such as animals or machines, and on occasion it comes from role-models in their life such as their parents, or media personalities. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic accurately conveys the idea that friendship and our social connections to each other are a powerful resource, especially in the modern world.

Oftentimes the mere mention of the show will be met with immediate disregard and occasionally disgust, especially if referred to by an older individual. Generally, the main argument they supply for their disdain of the show is that it is ‘childish’ or ‘empty and lacking depth’. Clearly they have not watched an episode of the show, because if they did they would see that the overarching plotline and all the sub-plots, along with the character development, create an incredibly immersive universe with relatable main characters, real-life conflicts and life lessons. Obviously the common theme across the seasons is that ‘Friendship is Magic’, and while at first glance it seems like a gimmicky thing for 2 year olds, it really is an incredible concept. When we are young, we make friends with people that have similar interests. These social connections help us get associated with like-minded individuals and can increase our chances at business opportunities and partnerships. The show truly does describe the sheer magical effect of friendship and sociological connections, and how powerful friendship is in the contemporary world.

Still, people will argue, “The characters are just a bunch of lame animated ponies with no real dimension. “ This of course is completely and utterly inaccurate. Each pony has a specific characteristic strength and talent that makes them unique and varied from each other. The ‘mane six’ as the main characters are referred to are the personifications of each aspect in a friendship: Loyalty, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty, Kindness, and Magic. Every pony has a special talent to go along with their element, and this talent combined with their personalities is what makes them easily relatable to any viewer of any age. Twilight-sparkle, representing the element of Magic, is quirky, geeky, and awkward, and is an easily relatable protagonist for the storyline. Fluttershy, as her name suggests, is extremely introverted allowing her to give a sense of mortality and vulnerability to the cast. The antithesis of Fluttershy would be Rainbowdash or Pinkie-pie, who are both hyperactive and bold in their activities, appealing to viewer’s that are more lively and outgoing. By giving the main characters such extreme personalities, and giving them critical roles to play, it can be encouraging to people when they see just how useful someone with their characteristics can be in a group. We can see that even though this may be a show targeted at kids, it can appeal to anyone of any age by creating a relatable companion that transforms an individuals persona into a tangible animated being.

Another argument that people will have is, “The show doesn’t teach kids anything, it’s just a bunch of rainbows and unicorns and fairytales.” While this may be true to some extent, it doesn’t fully disclose the shows content. Throughout the show, each of the ‘mane six’ learns unique and valuable life lessons about friendship. This is further reinforced in the letters they write to Princess Celestia at the end of each episode. Each aspect of friendship can only get so far on its own, but when they work together, they become a powerful force. Even the element that might seem the weakest (Fluttershy, the element of Kindness) or redundant (Pinkie-Pie, the element of Laughter) is still a key component to the friendship, and the overall storyline, and the system is crippled without their participation. Everyone is important, and each episode reinforces the overarching plot that friendship indeed is magical, and extremely valuable in the contemporary culture of today.

In modern society, the most powerful resource we could have is social connections, and proliferation through media such as television and the Internet, and it is beautifully portrayed in the T.V. show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The show may be directed to a younger age demographic, but the morals portrayed are life-lessons for anyone of any age group. We may feel like our personalities are a hindrance to others, or that we are too weird to be of any use in the world. The fact is that we are all an integral part of society with an important part to play. Friendship is the glue of society, and the basic building blocks for any relationship. Businesses can start from friendship, and we can meet our significant other through the magic of friendship. All we need to do is remember the basic ingredients for a good friendship, which are Loyalty, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty, Kindness, and Magic. We will meet many people that we will grow close with, but when we can connect with a person or thing in our imagination, it can help us bring fulfillment and help us to be confident with our unique personalities.

I Do Not Condone Bronies Shoving Their Fandom Down The Throats Of Other People, But I Also Do Not Condone The Hate and Bashing Of Bronies By Others.

I can apply that statement to Anything, religion, politics, or your favorite restaurant.
Steam Name: Emperor

Minecraft username: Maxrazorwin
sniper101

Re: An Essay on Bronies, and why MLP:FiM appeals to various

Post by sniper101 »

everyone plz read plox plox plox
etc!
and plox squared squared squared squared!
and that its neat :P
and cool :D
I love bicycling.
Soul
FADW Admin

Post by Soul »

*might be offensive
DelusionalSyko: MLP appeals to various ages because MLP is exactly like being a juggalo
DelusionalSyko: its a false sense of acception between a socially no-no
DelusionalSyko: which was the same
DelusionalSyko: as being a juggalo
DelusionalSyko: "Oh wow they paint their faces and wear all black thats weird"
DelusionalSyko: "Oh they're grown men and they watch a show for little girls weird"
DelusionalSyko: i havent met a mentally straight MLP fan
DelusionalSyko: they're all pretty much the same weirdo personalities
DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

I can verify that I did infact say that.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
sniper101

Post by sniper101 »

I can object, But why do I bother when no one listen and or cares
Most arguments always end up ignoring and ignoring the "Facts"

I love bicycling.
Maxrazor

Post by Maxrazor »

My reasoning behind it is, why is it any different for someone like me to watch MLP:FiM, when I know of adults that watch Curious George, and Thomas the Tank engine, and even go as far as to collect little kids train sets and replicate "the Island of Sodor" (Thomas the tank engines home).

Now, if I was into G3 MLP, then I would be concerned. G3 IS REALLY GIRLY and the characters are all flat and only care for makeup, cupcakes and rainbows.

MLP:FiM however, breaks the stereotype that girls only dress in pink and have tea parties. Rainbowdash in particular is pretty hardcore, and I keep forgetting that she is a girl.

But anyways. Anything taken to excess can be damaging. However, simply enjoying a TV show doesn't make you a freak. The real concerning individuals are the ones that go all out dressing up in MLP outfits, collecting every last collectible pony, plastering their basements with MLP paraphernalia, and giving "everypony bro-hoofs".

Anyways. I don't mind if people don't like what I like. Everyone is different. I wont try to ram my beliefs or fandom down your throat or try to 'convert' you. However, what I can't stand is when people go out of their way to bash fandoms. Not saying anyone is, but jut keep in mind, that trying to convince me that I am weird and that I should stop liking a show, is just as bad as me saying that you are weird for not liking the show. Both are in the wrong.

Ok, rant and rambling complete.

EDIT.:. Just to remind us all, this community was created specifically for 'weird' people. As stated on the sites front page:
So I made one, to (hopefully) find people like me, and also have other people who don't seem to fit in in other clans, so essentially this is a clan of people who don't seem to belong anywhere else. We are the "weird" people of the world.

We believe that you should embrace the "weird" side of yourself and to be the best person you can be.

DelusionalSyko

Post by DelusionalSyko »

Maxrazor wrote:My reasoning behind it is, why is it any different for someone like me to watch MLP:FiM, when I know of adults that watch Curious George, and Thomas the Tank engine, and even go as far as to collect little kids train sets and replicate "the Island of Sodor" (Thomas the tank engines home).
Because those cartoons were designed for children. And those adults watched those cartoons as children. And they buy things resembling that show because it holds nostalgia. I grew up watching Beast Wars and Dragon Ball Z. And for cartoons: Edd ed and eddy, dexters lab, rockos modern life, ren and stempy, the list goes on. When I go back to those cartoons, or find merchandise about that cartoon, I takes me back to when I was a kid.
MLP fans are watching this cartoon clear into their mid-teens and early adulthood. There's no nostalgia involved, so that's why people don't get it. You're a grown man watching a cartoon about ponies and you parade it around like its some sort of accomplishment.

My point is that I don't care if you watch a cartoon for a little girl when you're clearly way too old for it, my point is that you make a big deal out of it.

Maxrazor wrote:However, simply enjoying a TV show doesn't make you a freak. The real concerning individuals are the ones that go all out dressing up in MLP outfits, collecting every last collectible pony, plastering their basements with MLP paraphernalia, and giving "everypony bro-hoofs".
I agree with "Simply enjoying a TV show doesnt make you a freak" but you're getting ahead of yourself. You made a post about MLP, you have an avatar about MLP, and I'd wage a bet to say that your steam avatar as well as your in-game spray is also a pony. So, you're not "Simply" enjoying a TV show. You're parading it around.
"There was a time they cared nothing for Miss Vance. When their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Intel core i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0Ghz
Noctua NH-D14 120 - 140mm heatsink
Mushkin enhanced blackline 8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 570
OcZ Agility 240GB SSD x2 RAID:0
sniper101

Post by sniper101 »

Yea I understand you
that's what with all the MLP hate
cus people shoving it up people's faces

and its just one of those things that you need to share with other people, On what you enjoy alot and wish to share it around.
I love bicycling.
Maxrazor

Post by Maxrazor »

So we agree then. My essay was simply trying to shed light on it. I don't mean to make a big deal out of it, or make it seem like I am. I simply wrote an essay (originally for school) and decided to raise awareness about the psychology behind it. Sorry if you take offence to it.

Also, my avatar is about MLP yes, but its because I liked the artwork. If I wanted to I would put one of my own drawings there. My steam avatar however is a cartoon image of me that my sister drew.

I am not trying to rub anything in anyone's face. However, I don't believe I should lock away my feelings for something simply because you don't like it. Trust me, I know people that actually do flaunt it in peoples faces, and it infuriates me because it makes a bad name for 'bronies'. I am simply a man that appreciates the humor, personification, and artwork represented in the show. Nothing more, nothing less...

If someone voices their opposition to the show, I don't try to 'convert' them. I simply let it go. Its not everyones cup of tea.

EDIT.:. Also, I grew up with MLP figurines. I never watched the show as a kid (would have been late G1 at that time) but I played with the toys. I remember specifically having a G1 'Glory' possibly an Argentinian variation. My older sister now owns them and I haven't seen them in over a decade. MLP:FiM however recovered those childhood memories of playing with them, so unlike some MLP fans, I actually DO have a basis for my appreciation for it.